Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm checking out your sugar lumps.

Hello out there in blog land. It's been a quiet week in Lake Woebegon, as Garrison Keillor would say. The Doctor scarf is chugging along. The pink sweater (more on that later) has been put down again. Got tired of it, but made some good progress. I begin my wardrobe crew duties tonight. I start an awesome internship sometime next week (that'll get its own entry sometime soon.) Learning how to drive is cool.

But A few wonderful bits of tv/movie goodness have come to my attention as of late. Saturday was cheeseburger and a movie night at my friend Sharon's place. Sharon is super awesome and I'm so glad I've come to be such good buddies with her. Anyway, CB&MN is always a double feature, always "bad" movies you can comment on MST3K style, and always lightly themed. This is the first I've attended, and a revival for the medium. So being that it's Sharon, and the group of my friends thus attatched, we started 09 off with a bang with "Bad Musicals", of course. The first movie is lighter fare, something you can make/eat the cheeseburgers during and not mind missing chunks of. This time it was Grease 2. Especially as I was kibbitzing and chowing down on some serious meat, all I can say is... what the eff? Yeah, it was bad. In kind of a good way.
But then, my friends, on a three-beer buzz, we turned off all the lights, got out the air mattress, and settled down for Repo: The Genetic Opera. I swear to God... Pure Tromafilm-like brilliance. Produced by the makers of Saw and featuring Sarah Brightman, Paul Sorvino, and the guy who played Giles in Buffy (what's his name?), it was a brilliantly performed, bloody piece of fluff like no other. It defines "So bad it's good". For those who don't know what Tromafilms are, they're B-horror movies that have become a subgenre, the first of which being The Toxic Avenger, produced by a group called Troma. It took place in a town called Tromaville It never went ANYWHERE at the box office, but became a cult favorite. I personally used to watch the cartoon spinoff when I was a kid on Saturday mornings, and the slightly less violent sequels. Toxie is disgusting, violent, erotic and really fake looking. This could also describe Repo, though it is a an upgrade on the technical level, and ads a decent rock score. It takes place in a dystopian future where cosmetic surgery is recreational, and buying and selling organs is legal and run by a conglomerate. When you're behind on your payments, just like with your car, the Repo man comes and takes what you owe on. Only, reposessing your lungs will kill you. Very bloody. Now, I cannot watch real surgery, but when the Repo man ripped some guy's spine out whole, I was not only highly entertained, I was transfixed. Its not terribly true to life, but highly entertaining.

The other beautiful thing that happened was the restoration of my faith in a little thing called Flight of the Conchords. The first episode of their new season blew goats. I just didn't talk about it. Refused to discuss it with my friends for fear of feeling saddened. But episode two? Beyond hysterical. Behind on their bills, the boys contemplate and attempt prostitution. I kid you not. Anyone with a crush on Jemaine Clement (and really, who does that leave out? Three people?) will love the first new song, Sugar Lumps. The man has some serious moves. I'm talking heart stopping hip-action. I felt like I should be putting money in his waistband. Since I moonlight as a burlesque performer, this is alot coming from me. For anyone who wants to check it out, I give you proof that all good things end up on the magical internet within 24 hours. In HD, no less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0RL7vK44E&feature=related
Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. "and the guy who played Giles in Buffy (what's his name?)"

    Anthony Stewart Head. You get a B- in Geek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. I'll do better next time.
    I never watched Buffy! My Joss Whedon series experience begins and ends with Firefly. But I can freely quote the original Buffy movie, which featured Luke Perry, Paul Reubens and David Arquette. Also Hilary Swank in a small role.
    Does that extra credit up my grade?

    ReplyDelete