Wednesday, January 7, 2009

William Harnell, The First Doctor- Scarf Update #1


I believe there may well be as many feet in this scarf upon its completion as there are actors to have portrayed The Doctor in the television series. Considering last week, the Eleventh Doctor was named, I don't think that's terribly odd to say.
Right now, we see the scarf at foot one, the William Hartnell Foot. The pattern is from DoctorWhoScarf.com and it's the season 12 pattern. All garter stitch, 53 VERY prescribed stripes in a non-repeating sequence of uneven lengths, the longest being 56 rows, the shortest being 8. I determined that if I did about one stripe a week, I could get it done in a year. However, my goal date is October, and I managed 6 in 3 days. But I know that there will be weeks in there that I will have other knitting and, well, life related things taking up my attentions, so whatever. I must say, I'm finding the damn thing addictive! Garter stitch worsted, knit flat on size 8? Its brilliant "idiot knitting", the kind of thing I could watch TV while doing, and even travel with before it gets too big.
Actually, the thing that makes this project incredibly *non* ideal for travel is the striping. On one hand, stripes make the work exciting. I am an astonishingly goal oriented gal. I look at that pattern and think, oh! Only two more rows 'til the color change! Who needs Addi Turbos with motivation like that? That's why this scarf is chugging along faster than I thought it would. But, on the other hand the stripe sequence is terribly unpredictable, and who wants to carry more than one ball of yarn on the subway with them? I get stares enough if my needles happen to be the longer kind. Knitting at rush hour is not fun. You sometimes have moments of connection with other knitters or crocheters as you make eye contact across a crowded car, sharing that knowing smile... its all very romantic, right? Well meantime, the guy next to you keeps getting poked in the arm, and your aluminum needles make a loud ringing against the pole on the edge of the seat. This is why dpns are ideal travel. Socks, mittens and whatnot. But after completing all but the thumb of pink mitten #1 in 36 hours, and casting on #2 during PBS' broadcast of Kevin Kline's Cyrano (which, btw, he was phenomenal in) I am sick to death of size 4 double pointed bloody needles. As I like to say, "What was Elizabeth Zimmermann crying about???" Hugs to anyone who gets that.

No comments:

Post a Comment